Latest Topics

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Fix one thing, break something else?
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Fix one thing, break something else?

Fix one thing, break something else? 6 years, 9 months ago #18166

• BlueSky
      • Senior Boarder
      Hi all - don't know if anyone might have some information on this. I had a sub-total lateral meniscectomy 3 weeks ago (OS took about 90-95% of lateral meniscus for large complex tear). I know this is possible, but what is the likelihood of other damage occurring as a result of the scope itself? I've started PT and have some very minor pain and swelling laterally, but my main concern is the amount of pain and swelling medially, specifically around the medial incision. It is very tender and swollen, not just at the incision, but extending about 2cm in all directions. I have had a difficult time with flexion and feeling pain and pressure, and I can't straighten my knee fully while weight bearing without it buckling and getting sharp pain medially and behind my knee.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!

Sue

Re:Fix one thing, break something else? 6 years, 9 months ago #18167

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      You should not have any problems medially as a result of the surgery. I have a hunch that there is an infection originating from the medial scope hole especially because it seems to extend outward from the hole. This can happen more in knees than in shoulders. Lots of very pesky bugs can become problems Get back to the OS ASAP to have him look at this and to voice your concerns and let us know.

Just curious how is the biceps tendonotomy shoulder doing?? Do you ever perform any over head activites and notice any issues with weakness??? You are one of the very few that chose to have this done and it is still curious to me since most OS never recommend getting this procedure. Sharon

Re:Fix one thing, break something else? 6 years, 9 months ago #18168

• BlueSky
      • Senior Boarder
      Sharon - thank you so much for your reply. I too thought there might be an infection because the other day it was red and warm around the incision, but then I thought that there really shouldn't be an infection because it's been so long since the scope. This has somewhat subsided, but I'm still bothered a lot by it.

My biceps tenotomy is doing great! I don't know why more OS's don't recommend this. My shoulder surgeon was a guy from Hospital for Special Surgery, and he said that the latest research all points to same/similar outcomes for tenotomy vs. tenodesis with regard to strength and mobility. My strength has not been compromised - I just put down 600 lbs of river rock by my pool in May (my knee screamed at me though), and my swimming stroke is smooth as ever. The only thing I notice is a muscle spasm if I fire the biceps too quickly and forcefully, but that resolves right away.

Thanks again for your advice... I'll let you know how I make out with my knee.

Sue

Re:Fix one thing, break something else? 6 years, 9 months ago #18170

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      Labs would prove or disprove infection and if in doubt, MRI could be instructive. 2 cm of induration does seem a bit much! Do not wait for your next ortho appointment, call him/her immediately!
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re:Fix one thing, break something else? 6 years, 8 months ago #18253

• BlueSky
      • Senior Boarder
      Just wanted to update/get your opinions. Had my appointment and actually only saw the PA, not the OS. Told her about what happened in detail - incision had opened 3 days after sutures removed, 4 days later redness/warmth/swelling/tenderness, redness and warmth were resolved after 2 days, swelling around incision better but still there, still tender. I have had a lot of swelling in general around the knee and a lot of pressure in the joint on the medial side. At times the swelling extends to lower leg and ankle. In PT yesterday I had actually lost some flexion from last week - a disappointing 110 degrees (restricted from swelling?) PA didn't seem concerned about anything, told me to call if got red - she would rx antibiotics, and kept me in PT for another 4 weeks.

I know "normal" is different for every patient - is this just a normal variation that I need to work through or is there something else I should be doing?

As always, thanks so much for the help.

Sue
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE