Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN?
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN?

ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 5 years, 8 months ago #21670

• hagel123
      • Fresh Boarder
      Ice or heat? Heat or Ice? Hmmmnnn…. sounds a common question in treating back pain.

But the mere fact is Heat and Ice do the same thing- both shock the body into breaking the pain-spasm cycle. Heat makes the body circulate more blood to the area to cool it down. That brings more oxygen as well as nutrients and removes waste products, which help heal the tissue. Akin to this is the cold-the body sends more blood to the area to warm it up and promote healing.

Heal or even cold shuts down the nerves that fire the pain signals.-just as heat relaxes them, cold numbs them.

This is Dr. Kyle Hagel of Affinity Medical Group Center. I'm a new member here.

To help you get out of pain, restore and rehabilitate your spine to further your health and wellness is one of our main objectives. And for you to find which is the best for back pain if heat and cold. Why not share or ask something about chiropractic? This forum site looks great. I’m looking forward to establish a good relationship with you.

Thanks and Have a great day,
      Yours in Health,
      Dr. Hage

Re:ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 5 years, 8 months ago #21680

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Thanks and welcome!

Re:ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 5 years, 8 months ago #21736

• hagel123
      • Fresh Boarder
      thanks for the warm greeting:-)

Re: ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 3 years, 5 months ago #28946

• slippedrib
      • Fresh Boarder
      hagel123 wrote:
      Ice or heat? Heat or Ice? Hmmmnnn…. sounds a common question in treating back pain.

But the mere fact is Heat and Ice do the same thing- both shock the body into breaking the pain-spasm cycle. Heat makes the body circulate more blood to the area to cool it down. That brings more oxygen as well as nutrients and removes waste products, which help heal the tissue. Akin to this is the cold-the body sends more blood to the area to warm it up and promote healing.

Heal or even cold shuts down the nerves that fire the pain signals.-just as heat relaxes them, cold numbs them.

This is Dr. Kyle Hagel of Affinity Medical Group Center. I'm a new member here.

To help you get out of pain, restore and rehabilitate your spine to further your health and wellness is one of our main objectives. And for you to find which is the best for back pain if heat and cold. Why not share or ask something about chiropractic? This forum site looks great. I’m looking forward to establish a good relationship with you.

Thanks and Have a great day,
      Yours in Health,
      Dr. Hage

Wow this is why I dont trust any word of any doctor and take everything as a grain of salt.

Swelling is the physical manifestation of inflammation. Inflammation is the body working on healing itself. The use of ice reduces inflammation. It decreases bloodflow and skeletal metabolism. Icing decreases the chance of complete healing by reducing the blood flow.

Therefore Heat>Ice

Re: ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 3 years, 5 months ago #28949

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      While I think I disagreed with this original poster a couple years ago on his marketing aggression alone, your comment on swelling is not exactly correct. Yes, swelling is a response to injury to promote several things like the removal of damaged tissue and hastens production of fibrous tissue precursors (also involves the introduction of prostaglandins, kinens, bradykinens) to initiate beginning stages of healing. This is why some discourage the use of NSAID's in the first 24 hours which is probably instructive. After very early stages (1-2 days) though, continued swelling actually promotes stasis of extracellular tissue fluid that may then slow the healing process. Therefore, ice and anti-inflammatory medication makes more sense at that point. Plus, swelling around confined tissue compartments will activate stretch receptors that will be perceived as pain and limit function that may be useful for physical therapeutic reasons early on!
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re: ICE OR HEAT TO TREAT BACK PAIN? 3 years, 5 months ago #28950

• webe
      • Junior Boarder
      I was instructed to 'heat' the injured area by either taking a hot shower or doing stretching exercises. After working the muscles with physical therapy then put on ice to reduce inflammation. Both my pt and my sister [retired physical therapist] told me this.
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 257 guests online
      Up