Username Password: Remember me

Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday

Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday 5 years, 5 months ago #23203

• maxicrom
      • Expert Boarder
      After holding off for many years, about 15 actually finally had the anterior cervical fusion - 2 levels fused with titanium plates for support.

I got a lot of good info from this site during my SLAP repair so thought I might check back in to see if anyone has been through this one.

Knock on wood but my SLAP is doing quite well after 3 years +.

After 5 dyas my days are pretty good - nights suck - the old recliner is my night time friend again.

Anyone been through this one?

Max...

Re:Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday 5 years, 5 months ago #23208

Max,

Why did you have to have the C5-C7 fusion, and how was it related to your SLAP tear? Reason I ask is I was getting some pain and tightness in my scalene region of my neck/trap, and read somewhere that some people with SLAP tears get pain radiating to the neck, which in some cases ends up being due to some C disk dysfunction.

Re:Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday 5 years, 5 months ago #23209

• maxicrom
      • Expert Boarder
      CS,

About 15 years ago I first noticed a burning sensation inside my left elbow and forearm. I mentioned it during a checkup and my GP thought it might be angina, I was 40, 6ft. and 220lbs so it seemed like a possibility. My heart was OK, another older GP at the practice overheard us talking (I was describing a pain you couldn't touch, felt like it was inside the bone) and said I should get an MRI that it was probably nerve\neck related. My GP ordered the MRI and it showed a compressed cervical disc, I saw a nerosurgeon and over the years managed the pain and avoided atrophy with a combinationation of stretching, a few series of spinal injections, and working out. About two years ago the weakness in my left arm got worse and this year my right arm began to show the same behavior. Since my teens I'd played sports, motocross, had a few bad car accidents, and a number of physical jobs over the years. That said I think the disc issue was basically a wear and tear related injury that I had been able to manage for a number of years without surgery.

My SLAP tear was the result of a long fall (impact) and was accompanied by a shoulder separation and biceps tear. I didn't have a safety line on while working up the mast on our sailboat, a rusted shackle broke and I fell 10' to the deck landing on my shoulder - no magic there (basically my stupidity). I'm just lucky I wasn't hurt worse.

The reason I posted was that during the day I'm doing pretty well, almost too good. But at night, if I sleep for over an hour it feels like a nerve right about where the SLAP repair was is on fire - I can ususlly walk it off in about 10 minutes or so - but after that it stays tender and seems to repeat the inflamation after about an hour so throughout the night. I'm sure that many here can relate, it is very similar to my memory of the SLAP recovery ache. Right below the shoulder blade, today is day 6 and last night was pretty bad. I'm only taking Tylenol - percocet or flexirile affect me worse than the pain.

I was hoping someone might have some insight if this is temporary or not. During the surgery I understand they contort you similarly to the SLAP procedure, and although it took awhile my shoulder recovered nicely.

Re:Just had cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday 5 years, 5 months ago #23216

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      Been there, done that; 3 months before my SLAP nightmare. It was actually uneventful.
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re:Cervical fusion C5-7 last Monday: Update 5 years, 5 months ago #23245

• maxicrom
      • Expert Boarder
      Just wanted to post an update - with so many folks going through SLAP procedures. My shoulder pain has pretty much subsided now and I was able to sleep most of the night in bed - sorry SLAP folks as it won't be the case with shoulder surgery recovery (that's a few weeks minimun in the recliner). But the result is that my shoulder pain was most likely from the position during surgery.

But I would like to comment that last Monday (a week out) I felt pretty good and was pretty active during the day (within reason). As a result I lost 2 days - really knocked me out. So even if you feel good it's major trauma, you need to give yourself time to heal. I was jazzed at going back to work next week but now I'm thinking about part time for a week or so... If you want a chuckle... when I cought or sneeze I get electric shocks in both my elbows (guess those nerves are alive again!!!)

Good luck to all,

Mike
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE