Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: My ankle. It hurts..

My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21463

• Icarusj
      • Senior Boarder
      It's been a while since i logged on or visited this great site . Last time it was shoulder issues...Forgive me for not searching and reading others , as i might see a similiar issue and get my answers , but i'm in pain.
      Saturday i went to run , and run hard , i had no shoes on in the park , probably the first time in a while that i really ran . But i stepped down hard. Even into a rut, and felt a pain in my calf.
      I could barely walk.( but did ice it that nite)
      I went to the hospital ER the next morning. The calf muscle was very swollen, and hot to the touch.
      They took an X-Ray and it came back negative. The Dr. said she saw "No Avulsion". It appeared like the other leg only fatter.
      She gave me a scrip for 800 mg of motrin , a cane, and ice packs - she said to lay off of it for several days and ice it every 20 minutes.
      It's wednesday and i do walk better, and with less pain, but it feels so weak.
      And i have an ace bandage on it that they gave me .
      ...last nite i noticed two red lines that looked as if the ace band. was too tight.
      No visible marks were seen at the emergency room.
      Today i see almost a line of bruises from the top of the calf to the bottom of the calf - right in the back of the leg. almost two inches wide.
      Help , any advice ??

Re:My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21465

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      sounds to me like you strained your calf/gastrocnemius muscle and did a good job of it with the sounds of the bruising. Did you say it was at the top of your calf or top of your ankle? if it's closer to the ankle, wouldn't hurt to see a doc to make sure your achilles tendon is ok...it may not be avulsed but doesn't mean it still can't be torn. Keep icing it and be sure to keep flexing your ankle up and down so it doesn't stiffen and the muscle doesn't shorten further. Once the pain subsides you can start stretching it a bit more with more tension, but for now, just keep it from shortening and reduce inflammation with the nsaids and ice. Massage may help to push out some of that dead tissue/blood and help the healing process.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21466

• Cavitator
      • Platinum Boarder
      As long as you have been cleared for an achilles tear (including the aponerosis) via clinical exam and/or MRI (x-ray is useless), the next most likely diagnosis would be a plantaris tendon tear/rupture. Brutally painful but a mindless and stupid injury that you must just suck it up and all will be fine once the swelling and discomfort diminish!
      3/51 Bilateral VIII C.N. complete neurectomy
      2/60 Failed Supratentorial electrotherapy w/subsequent pancerebral resection
      2/89 Bilateral aqueous humor drainage w/complete retinectomy
      3/02 Quadralateral proximal extremity resection from gestational thalidomide exposure

Re:My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21467

• Icarusj
      • Senior Boarder
      Thank you both very much. The ER took an X-Ray , the more tests the better . No Ultrasound or MRI , MRI is outpatient only i was told . I do have an appointment with an Ortho . It will be the same folks that tended my shoulder.
      I wonder if i should go w/o the ace bandage ? It seems to be cutting into the worse sore area , the very back and top of the calf.
      The bruising is yellow , and more pronounced this morning.

Re:My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21469

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      yellow bruising means it's clearing up...that's a good thing. In terms of seeing the ortho, I would leave the ACE bandage off when you go see them so they see the full extent of what is there...it's best to have it at it's worse while you're then and then get it to calm down after...that's what my OS told me.

Hopefully nothing too severe, but best to get it checked like you're doing.

Leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re:My ankle. It hurts.. 5 years, 10 months ago #21472

• Icarusj
      • Senior Boarder
      The top of the calf muscle directly in the back of the leg is the sorest. Bruising is the whole length of calf ,and then some. I am walking better and with less pain , but it still hurts and is sore,even after a week.
      That stretching tidbit is of major help. the Dr at the ER said she thought it was calf issues, as there were no marks etc and the calf itself was all swollen. Maybe that's why she returned me to work in a few days , to get the blood flowing or stretch it as u advised !?
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.56 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 136 guests online