Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries

Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 9 months ago #21571

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      Hey Everyone,

Just curious to see if anyone else is having the issues I am with Asthma since my 3 surgeries. My first surgery was in 2007, 2009,2010. All athroscopic with nerve block. My Asthma has gotten worse each year requiring a 5 day stay in the hospital a few months ago. Now it is starting again. I am on predisone for this episode but don't feel it is doing much. I take advair, singular, flonase, and rescue inhaler or nebulizer. I am on my way to allergist/asthma doc next week for tests.

Any help in this matter would be great. By the way, my should is great.

Thanks,
      Karen

Re:Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 8 months ago #21602

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Karen, Glad to hear that the shoulder is great. I'm sorry I don't have much info for you on asthma. All I can say is that I used to battle severe nasal congestion but since I started using a Neti Pot to wash my sinuses I am symptom free. Maybe you've got some bacteria making it's way down to the lungs?

A

Re:Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 8 months ago #21603

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Karen,
      I would be very concerned about environmental factors such as smoke integretion from a coal plant or some other process producing fine particulate matter. The following link can help you identify if there is a smoking gun by checking ozone and smoke by satellite.

www.nws.noaa.gov/aq/

Let us know what you find.
      John

Re:Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 8 months ago #21692

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      Had some allergy tests done last week. I have no allergies that could be triggering my asthma. I ended up on IV salumetrol again a couple of weeks ago. Once the prednisone is out of my system, more blood work to figure out the mystery. I will keep you posted.

Karen

Re:Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 7 months ago #21992

• illtreaturite1
      • Junior Boarder
      • Left Shoulder Arthroscopy Slap Tear 07/26/11
      Karen,

How has your asthma been? I saw this post when I was perusing the boards before surgery and found it since I joined. I saw an operation on TV where the surgery had to be stopped because the person's asthma flared up during surgery. (of course it was plastic surgery and not necessary, so they just didn't go on to do all the procedures they were planning on the patient)

This is a serious concern for anesthesiologists. Have you had any luck with your tests? There are stages of asthma and the ultimate goal would be to get you under control then step you back if possible.

Good luck!
      32 y.o. female Pharmacy student graduating \'13
      Cincinnati, OH
      Arthroscopy L Shoulder, Slap Repair 7/26/11
      Arthroscopy L Knee, Debridement 4/09
      Arthroscopy R Knee, Debridement & meniscus repair 5/09

Re:Asthma worse after shoulder surgeries 5 years, 7 months ago #21993

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      Thanks for posting. My asthma has been better but I have only been off the prednisone a few weeks now. The next few weeks or so is the real test. I had blood work done early this week so I should know the results next week. The new doctor changed my inhaler from advair to dulera (it's new). This seems to be helping with my breathing. Hope this is the end of the issues. I can't take being on prednisone again

Karen
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online