Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Shoulder Blade Tightness

Shoulder Blade Tightness 7 years, 6 months ago #13457

• lopezron
      • Fresh Boarder
      • SLAP Repair 9/26/09
      I have significant tightness behind my right shoulder blade. My SLAP tear repair was performed on my right shoulder. Is this common? How do I reduce this tension?

Re:Shoulder Blade Tightness 7 years, 6 months ago #13466

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      Are you wearing the heavy duty abduction brace or finished with the brace at this point? It can be a muscle that is just tight from overuse on the opposite side or refered pain from the lower neck/upper thoracic. Have you PT check your neck. A good massage with a therapist (one that has a chair massage unit) may do the trick if it is not coming from the neck. Sharon

Re:Shoulder Blade Tightness 7 years, 6 months ago #13473

• DarcyCA
      • Expert Boarder
      • posterior-superior labrum w/ 2 anchors on 10/2/09
      Sharon,

This brings up three questions I would like to ask you:

1 - I believe I understand referred pain, but could you explain it so that I know I am understanding it correctly?

2 - At what point post-op is massage okay? helpful?

3 - I have read of a few people experiencing tightness behind their shoulder blade after surgery. Do you have any recommendations for avoiding this?

Thanks,

Darcy

Re:Shoulder Blade Tightness 7 years, 6 months ago #13495

• Vicki
      • Senior Boarder
      I had extreme pain behind my shoulder blade and my p/t said the pain was actually from my neck. He said having my arm in a sling and walking around in a guarded position caused me to misuse my neck muscles. He had me do these "weird exercises" at home. I had to sit up straight, take my hand and "wrap" it around my chin (my thumb on one side and my fingers on the other) and then push back on my chin. Then I had to push my head back and do a small oscillating motion. He had me do this several times at one but 3 times per day.

It helped a little-but if you read my newly added thread you will see what my pain is really caused from.

Re:Shoulder Blade Tightness 7 years, 6 months ago #13499

• lopezron
      • Fresh Boarder
      • SLAP Repair 9/26/09
      Yes, I was thinking of just getting a neck/shoulder massage. I just don't want to mess anything up. I'm on a "regular" sling and am supposed to wear it through the end of the month, for a total of five weeks.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 194 guests online