Username Password: Remember me

Surgery, Nerve Block and Painkillers, Oh My! by Rachel
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Surgery, Nerve Block and Painkillers, Oh My! by Rachel

Surgery, Nerve Block and Painkillers, Oh My! by Rachel 10 years ago #1409

• dkgunte
      • Fresh Boarder
      This thread discusses the Content article: Surgery, Nerve Block and Painkillers, Oh My! by Rachel

Glad to hear your surgery went fine. I had a SLAP II repair done in December 2003. I am in the military, and luckily had a very good doctor at the Naval Medical Center in DC. When I mentioned something to him about the nerve block he told me he does not use it, as it could cause more problems than necessary. Needless to say I was fine since they gave me a sedative before they wheeled me into the operating room. The last thing I remember was him signing my right shoulder and joking about making sure they operated on the correct side. For me painkillers do not work at all. They tried percocet, tylenol 3 w/codeine and something else. All they did was make me sleepy, but did nothing for the pain. I have a fairly high tolerance to pain anyway so it did not bother me too much. I have been pain free in my shoulder since the summer of 2004. My injury occurred while I was in Korea in 2000, and I am sure playing sports did not help either.

Re:Surgery, Nerve Block and Painkillers, Oh My! by Rachel 10 years ago #1412

• Ashley
      • Expert Boarder
      Nerve blocks are not the standard of care in my area. My surgeon wants that to change, so is running a double-blind random pain trial. Unfortunately, I was in the placebo side of the trial and was in a lot of pain that first day. The percocet was also making me itch like crazy, so I was taking 2 percocet and 2 benedryl every four hours to keep it under control. 24 hours later, I was down to periodic Advil. Amazing how quickly the pain subsided. We're all very different in our pain threshold.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 212 guests online