Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: I am alive! :) updated

I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1410

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Hello my fellow SLAPpees... I had my surgery last thursday and, thank God, remained alive to tell you about it. First of all, thanks to those whos thoughtful comments and advice helped me prepare for it, mentally and otherwise!

I checked in at 07:15 sharp with my faithful husband at my side. A very experienced RN proceeded to start IV. I told her "no lidocaine, warm pack my arm, because i'm a hard stick". She smiled confidently and went on with her original plan. 45 minutes, three large hematomas, and two anesthesiologists later, I was a proud owner of a 20 gauge peripheral IV! Now the fun can begin...

Needless to say, they medicated my exactly as I requested, particularly with a yummy combination of versed and fentanyl, so my regional block and placement of scalene catheter (for ropivicaine infusin at home) was a pleasant and almost happy procedure.

Versed doesn"t have the intended effect on me (which is to induce amnesia so you have no recollection of events up to 2 minutes before it was administered). I remember almost every detail while I'm on versed. I remember anesthesiologist admiring my brachial plexus on ultrasound, i remember my phantom ssurgeon popping in to say "hello sweetheart" followed by "don't move"...

Once everything was in I was rolled into OR, transferred into a little tiny bed. The last thing I remember was anesthesiologist saying "this is propofol drip to relax you". And I was out...

Waking up was unpleasant: difficulty breathing (don't know if it was actual or perceived), sore throat, and no right arm. I have to tell you that the block was the most unpleasant thing of all.

Then I proceeded to cough up several furballs (super thick secretions in response to intubation). The nice RN stole mint tea from her co-worker for me.

Trip home wasn't that bad in terms of pain. I almost would rather be in pain than have the weirdness of the block. Plus, I was sent home with Stryker pain pump2, which was infusing ropivicaine at a steady rate.

Sleeping the first night was pretty awful: I just couldn't find a comfortable position. I did manage to get about 3 hrs of sleep through the night.

Then the regional block wore off... Mind you, I did not take sny narcs because the pump was meant to provide me with pain control. Well... The medocation ended up pooling between my clavicle and neck, making it very distended and quite painful. But I couldn't pull the scalene catheter because it was under the surgical dressing and that wasn't coming off for another 3 days. So I started on oxycodone, trying to get the pain down at least a little.

Re:I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1411

• Ashley
      • Expert Boarder
      Congratulations on making it over to the other side!! Sounds like you had quite the time with the stick. I'm a hard stick too, so can really relate to that problem. Make sure to take it easy and keep up with your pain meds as needed. Happy healing.

Re:I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1413

• spike
      • Fresh Boarder
      HI, I am Sue and am new to this site.I have gained a fair amount of knowledge on what to expect from a number of you. Maybe someone could help me out, please. My arthrogram says "Superior labral Tear with morphology consistent with a slap lesion. The anterior labrum likely represents a normal variant of Buford complex as opposed to an anterior tear. no rotator cuff tear identified." Does anyone know what this means? My injury occured 14 months ago, I had a gamut of painkillers, cortisone, acupuncture, rehab, chronic pain course, and on and on. It wasn't until a second arthrogram three weeks ago that I was able to get a diagnosis. I saw a surgeon who said he would scope,then detach the bicep tendon, shorten it, drill a hole (where?) and re-attach the tendon. He said recovery 4-6 months with the first 4 weeks in a sling with only pendulum swings. Anybody out there that has had this done? Did it help? How long was recovery? Regrets? Thanks.

Re:I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1414

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Hello Sue,
      Buford complex is an anatomical anomaly, where an anterior labrum was not formed. Approximately 5% of the population have it. It is something, which makes your shoulder less stable, predisposing you to dislocations and, yes, thr SLAP tears. On arthrogram MRI, however, a large slap tear, which extends into anterior labrum, can appear as the normal variant of Buford complex. Your surgeon will be able to tell you for sure, once s/he arthroscopically examines your shoulder during the surgery.

The lack of pain relief with therapy is not surprising, as conservative treatment of SLAP LESIONS is generally unsuccessful.

Regarding rehab... You will find that every doctor approachs it differently. My surgeon, for example, does not use pendulum swings at all, but rather prefers more controlled movements.

I cannot comment on the success of surgery yet because mine took place only 4 days ago. From reading the literature, however, i can tell you that it is usually successful. I hope you find this helpful. Good luck!

Heather

Re:I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1415

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Boy, it sure seemed longer while I was typing! Can't wait for my usual 80wpm!!!!!!

Re:I am alive! :) updated 9 years, 11 months ago #1416

• spike
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi there,

Thank you chykcha for the info re: Buford complex etc. I will be seeing the suregeon next week for paper signing etc. Is detaching and re-attching the bicep tendon a common practice?
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 320 guests online