Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Sometimes I think I am well... But then...
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Sometimes I think I am well... But then...

Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1418

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Alrighty, folks... I should probably say, allefty because that's the way I am these days. Ok,ok.. I probably amuze only myself. Have you ever had a thought that you had to laugh at? Well, I am full of these thoughts!

Now, regarding my surgery. My anesthsiologist was awesome! Knowing that I am sensitive to general anesth, he medicated me with propofol/inapsine mix, wich is rarely done. General is usually done with gasses. As a result, I was not nauseous at all! And that is a big thing for me. I will kiss him next time I bump into him on campus!

I woke up, blah, blah, blah... My surgeon came in to give us the results. Said that rotator cuff was in great shape, but the slap tear was very extensive and the bocep anchor was quite literally falling off. just for the SLAP repair he had to use the sutures. I'll ask him fof photos and post those here.

The surgeon was amazing as well... I didn't know him personally, but was lectured by him several times on knee problems in the course of my study. I enjoyed his knowledge, how he answered the multitude of questions we threw at him, so when I decided to fix my shoulder for good, I, naturally, thought of him. If anyone needs a good shoulder/knee god in Portland, OR, I would be glad to give you his name.

Before surgery, I wrote on my arm with a marker: "THIS ONE. NO RESIDENTS, PLEASE. NO OFFENSE, MIKE" With a smily face. I now have to e-mail Mike with a thank you for not practicing on my dominant arm.

I have to tell you, guys, if you have someone to help you the first couple of days, please use them. My husband was so wonderful, I am forevr thankful. It is day 6 post op, and I am pretty self reliant. I haven't required help showering or dressing, including washing my hair for 3 days now. I haven't had to put on a bra yet as I have been home bound. This is the one thing I am dreading. Any ideas on how to make it more comfortable?

I am planning on my hubby taking me to the gym tonight so I could at least do recumbent bike. I feel like my energy is there. Let's see how it goes.

More to come...

Re:Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1419

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Sounds like good progress so far! At which university hospital did you have it done? Take it easy on the bike, I don't want to read how you overdid it and are in pain.

-Andy

Re:Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1421

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Andy, I had my surgery at OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University). I stopped taking my narcotics today. Definitely feel much more pain, my ROM exercises hurt much more.

When did you stop taking your pain meds? They make me feel so dopey, just hate it. I think I have nightmares because of oxycodone as well...

I feel tempted to do some very light things with my right arm, like holding a coffee cup (not bringing it up to take a drink, but carrying it, etc. What do you think, too early?

Re:Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1431

• Ashley
      • Expert Boarder
      Conratulations on a successful surgery and the start of a great recovery.

I stopped taking my pain meds at 24 hours; however, I seem to have a high pain threshold and everyone is different. Take your pain meds if you have pain. Suffering will definitely not help heal your shoulder.

I had to wear a t-back sports bra for about three months post-op because the regular bra straps hurt so bad on the repaired shoulder. I stepped into the bra and just pulled it up instead of putting it on over my head. When I did finally start wearing regular bras again, I bought a bra-strap pad from the local fabric store to help cushion it from the shoulder. I had A/C and SAD procedures at the same time as the slap, so that may have contributed to the pain at the point of the strap.

Ask your surgeon about lifting limits if he didn't already give them to you. At one week post-op, my surgeon said I could lift a cup of coffee, but nothing heavier. And he emphasized that it was limited to an 8-oz cup of coffee - not the huge size. I was allowed to put on makeup and brush my teeth, although in reality it was several more weeks before I could do those things because it was so painful to attempt. I actually learned how to put on mascara with my left hand, which was a comedy to watch.

Be careful at the gym. There is no way I could have done a bike at that point.

Re:Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1439

• Andy
      • Administrator
      I stopped taking pain meds rather quickly, I only needed them for a few days, then switched over to ice packs.

I did nothing with my right arm for four weeks except the exercises given. Some people have flown through recovery, driving and doing a bunch of things relatively quickly. I'm not sure about this, remember that the cartiledge won't fully heal for approx three months. Until your out of the sling, I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Re:Sometimes I think I am well... But then... 9 years, 11 months ago #1441

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      Andy, I still find that I need a little extra help with pain relief, especially at night. Ice definitely helps, but I can't sleep with it on.

I started exercising day 3 post-op, just climbing my 16 stairs back and forth, about 80 times on that day. Boy, was I weak! My legs were trembling after that for an hour! Now I mostly go to the gym, but find it difficult to get a satisfying work-out jus ton the recumbent bike. I might continue doing stairs, because I get a much better workout from that. So, I guess, my recovery is taking it's course... What do you do these days?
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 220 guests online