Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: SLAP Tear

SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22447

• Frans
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi All

I live in South Africa and was trying to get into bodybuilding when I had a problem with my right shoulder. I had a SLAP tear repaired in my right shoulder about 1 year ago. All all seemd fine and my dr recommended I can start training again with light weights, which I did in Feb 2011. Within 1 week the pain was back and I rested it again with more Physio as well. Went back to Dr and he found that I also have Bicep tendonitus and suggested that he cuts the bicep tendon and re-attach it to the ball of the shoulder. Sounds easy but how do I know this will work and how will it affect my weight training? Is there anybody that has had this done before and can give me some feedback?

Re:SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22448

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Frans,
      This is becomming a more common procedure and appears to be effective in some situations. I am curious about how much LBS were you lifting when you reinjured your shoulder? I too have returned to "light" weights and don't want any problems. Were you doing overhead lifting?
      Thanks,
      John

Re:SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22451

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      Another interesting article:

A “worrisome” trend in SLAP repair

By Peter Pollack

Young surgeons have high rates of surgery

www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/aug10/clinical2.asp

Re:SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22461

• Frans
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi John
      I can't really say that I have re-injured it when I started training again. No overhead movements and a weight of approx. 5kg. This pain and the area was my original complaint to the dr but they found the labral tear and said that was the problem and fixed it. The actual injury occured in 2009 and I cannot pinpoint what exactly caused it, maybe repetitive injury? Now the dr wants to cut and re-attach the bicep and I am really considering it as the pain is continious and I would really like to start weight training again.

Re:SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22464

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      Frans,
      Sounds like your slap tear may not have been the source of your pain. The os may have fixed what appeared on the MRI but not the source of the pain. I would get a second opinion on my next step just to be comfortable with another surgery for the same thing.
      John

Re:SLAP Tear 5 years, 6 months ago #22465

• Frans
      • Fresh Boarder
      John
      This is my exact way of thinking. That is why I am trying to find out if there is someone that has had a similar situation. If cutting and re-attaching the bicep will work then I will do it just to get rid of the pain. I have been with this pain for almost 2 years now.
      Frans
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online