More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me

Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery
      (1 viewing) (1) Guest
      • Page:

TOPIC: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery

Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 8 months ago #25568

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I'm two weeks and a day post surgery. Sleeping is hell. I start out falling asleep sitting up, but I get up a few times at night. I can't go back to sleep sitting up, so I've put a pillow on the left (good) side and roll over on that side with the bad arm (still in a sling) on the pillow. I will often make a nest of pillows around me. But I'm wondering when I will ever be able to sleep on the right side again. Surely that will come. If I weren't still taking pain meds, I don't know that I'd be able to sleep at all. This is so frustrating.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 8 months ago #25569

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      Unfortunately, it takes some time, especially after the latarjet. I wouldn't expect being able to sleep much on that shoulder until probably 8 weeks post op, once the graft healing should be complete. Especially with the latarjet, because bone pain from the healing tends to be worse at night, it could take some time.

There is nothing worse then not being able to sleep, it just makes everything else that much harder to deal with
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement

Re: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 8 months ago #25571

• riderk
      • Platinum Boarder
      I haven't slept on my right shoulder in over 3 years, esp now with a problematic replacement. Sometimes I do the pretzel move- turn hips and legs to the side and keep the shoulders at an angle. And Ambien - cannot sleep without it. I know that is bad, but as the doc said, he's seen people with a lot less issues that take more of it.

Re: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 8 months ago #25577

• blackpup
      • Gold Boarder
      ive been sleeping doenstairs on my recliner couch, it is prertty comfortable just loud with my husbands snoring and the loud air purifier, i miss my bed
      8/27/2012

Rotator cuff repair
      Debridement of synovium
      subachrominal decompression

Re: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 7 months ago #25592

• COgirl
      • Platinum Boarder
      I take Ambien for sleeping anyway since the air is so thin where I live (10,200 feet above sea level). Last night I didn't have to take pain meds (in spite of having my second PT session). So I took my regular dosage of Ambien. (I'd figured that the pain meds and lower dosage of Ambien were enough to put me to sleep.) At some point in the night, I took the sling off and slept on my back, arm by my side. I slept for 7 straight hours. That was HEAVEN.
      3/2010 Slap Tear Repair, Biceps tenotomy
      8/2012 Latarjet
      11/14 Total shoulder replacement

Re: Sleeping after Latarjet or other shoulder surgery 4 years, 7 months ago #25750

• blackpup
      • Gold Boarder
      i,m still having a terrible time sleeping. i fall asleep for a few hours than wake up, then hard to fall asleep again. i've tried my bed and the recliner. i don 't know how i'm ever going to be able to go back to work if this keeps up.

lack of sleep is making everything harder as we just had to buy a new washing machine, now the dryer died and the freezer came unplugged so a bunch of food got tossed. on the bright side i made my first meal since surgery, ok so it was only grilled cheese but still.

can't believe tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op.
      8/27/2012

Rotator cuff repair
      Debridement of synovium
      subachrominal decompression
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!