No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Type II SlapTear repair

Type II SlapTear repair 7 years, 1 month ago #16065

I had surgery last April (been doing rehab since as well. I have had two distentions (one in August and one again in February) due to shoulder just not getting external ROM past 40 degrees.

I can get it to 50 degrees now but have had a very sharp pain in the shoulder when PT is stretching. Feels like a knife being jabbed into the front head of the shoulder. Any ideas on getting ROM moving along further? Scapula is still pretty weak but I am starting to strengthen it with limited weights and bands.

I would like to golf this summer if possible.

Re:Type II SlapTear repair 7 years, 1 month ago #16067

• mollybean
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi All,
      I am new to this site, and just wanted to see if anyone had/has any input. I have an "extensive SLAP tear" of the superior glenoid labrum. Also I have surface tears of the suprasinatus tendon and narrowing of the supraspinatus outlet.... I guess in laymens terms I am told that I have to have some bone shaved and some scar tissue removed to free up the impingement at the top of my shoulder. This is pretty straight forward and I am okay with all of that... where I am confused and not sure which way to go is that I understand my labrum is torn (13MM) at the bicep tendon... one surgeon wants to cut and reattach my tendon (I think this is tenodesis) vs. another surgeon who will cut it and let it attach on it's own..(tenotomy). I understand that w/the first scenario my rehab may be a bit longer but I will not sacrifice strength and aesthetic's of the bicep muscle...? I am 42 active and a passionate golfer... does anyone have any thoughts on either procedure. I am scheduled for surgery Mar 4th.... Thanks in advance!!!
      Mollybean

Re:Type II SlapTear repair 7 years, 1 month ago #16068

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      You will need to research the outcomes of tenodesis vs tenotomy, but I will sum up what I know. Yes tenotomy will be easier to recover from, but the popeye defomity and some redidual weakness and biceps cramping may remain. Additionally once the tendon is cut there is no reattatchment possible at a later date. Now here is where I believe the tenodesis is the way to go. You have to have surgery to repair the labrum and a SAD for the impingement. You will need at the minimum 6 months to recover from the SLAP tear. It maybe another 2 months before you regain full biceps strength. In the long term you will have fully functioning shoulder, no biceps issue or deformity so the 2 extra months becomes not an issue in my opinion.

The time when I think tenotomy should be considered is if there is no other underlying pathology that needs repair, the individual is older and resuming ones sport will not be affected by a slight decrease in biceps function. I wish I were given the option of a tenodesis as I would have opted initially for this choice. Now nearly 17 months after my SLAP repair, the biceps is problematic which is why you get it done the first time. either way a tenodesis or tenotomy is prefered to doing nothing with the biceps during SLAP repair. Of course having confidence and finding the best OS is important. Some are simply better at a particular technigue. Peper them with questions about, their outcomes with patients and why they like a particular surgery over the other. Sharon

Re:Type II SlapTear repair 7 years, 1 month ago #16072

• mollybean
      • Fresh Boarder
      Thanks Sharon, I was leaning toward the tenodesis and would rather have a slightly longer recovery with a more optimistic longterm result. I am still researching it and am nervous but feeling ok about my decision. At this point anything is better than the pretty chronic pain I am in. It's gotten progressively worse and weaker just in the past 3-4 months.
      I welcome any additional feedback.
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online