Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Slap tear

Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16126

• gary d
      • Fresh Boarder
      Son had SLAP tear 6/09/09.Did all rehab etc. Dr. James Andrews did
      surgery .He plays college baseball tried to play DH this weekend and felt something POP went to team DR. they want to do more surgery? Please Advise!

Re:Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16129

• johnt0148
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Bi-lateral SLAP Tear Surgeries
      gary,
      I'm not sure what Advise to give you, but I have read several articles about studies of baseball players and slap tear surgery which did not look good. One article which studied professional baseball players indicated that as few as 5% pitchers returned to pre-slap tear form. Some players were released once they were diagnosed with a slap tear and their likelihood of every playing again was questionable.

Your son was about 8 months post-op when he re-injured his shoulder. I am about 9 months post-op on my right shoulder and I know I am about 75% as strong and about 90% ROM as before my surgery, so it is just amazing that your son was able to return to play when he did.

I don't know where Dr. Andrews is from, but the surgeon who did my shoulders also works with several colleges and major league baseball teams. He just recently repaired FSU's starting quarterback shoulder. If it were my son, I would not hesitate to contact Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic for a consultation.

John

Re:Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16145

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      Just to clarify Dr. Andrews is one of the best in the country,
      but of course re-tears can happen. When was you son cleared to start a return to throw program? Did he have any problems during this phase or when he upped his velocity?? or just the pop out of nowhere? Has the OS spoken about what he plans to do for the second surgery. I could be wrong but tendodesis is probably not considered a first choice as it may effect a pitchers velocity, which as we know is everything. Honesly I do not know, but would be curious if he mentioned anything about a tenodesis for his next surgery. When is he scheduled? Sharon

Re:Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16148

• gary d
      • Fresh Boarder
      He's a position player. He got to 90 feet (5 months into rehab) and then pain.He shut it down for a month (throwing) but the pain did not go away. We went back to Andrews they did an XRay and a Cortisone shot and he was told to rehab no throwing for a month but he could continue to hit which did not bother him.Last weekend he opened the season as DH third game in during BP he felt the Pop.He thought it dislocated, MRI on monday Team DR. wanted to do second surgery.We called Dr. Andrews we sent MRI and copy of report to Andrews waiting to hear from him. I spoke with him (same day)he stated he did not think it was dislocated but needs to look at MRI and report.Looks like we are headed back to Birmingham.

Re:Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16149

• gary d
      • Fresh Boarder
      Team DR. also stated MRI showed a Hill-Sachs Lesion?

Re:Slap tear 7 years, 1 month ago #16162

• sskylor
      • Platinum Boarder
      • Physical Therapist/Patient
      Well you son was on a fast track for sure. Most are not allowed to throw for 6 months. Anyway it does sound like another surgery unfortunately. A full dislocation would have been an 9 out of 10 pain scale wise. A subluxation is likely what occured which caused the re-tear. Get a copy of the MRI and post what Andrews proposes. Sharon
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 207 guests online