Latest Topics

No posts to display.

More Topics »

Unanswered Postings

Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: shoulder pain and interpreting tears on MRI report

shoulder pain and interpreting tears on MRI report 6 years, 4 months ago #19269

• ssimp12626
      • Fresh Boarder
      Hi. I've been experiencing shoulder pain for almost 1 year now. The pain migrates up and down my arm and it doesn't matter if I'm using it or not. Several months ago I developed frozen shoulder and hurts even more to move actively or my physical therapist who can't straighten it totally out. I'm already on a good amount of pain meds for a spinal cord problem. My doctor ordered a mri which I just got the results of.

Findings:
      Mild soft tissue hypertrophy is present about the left acromicclavicular joint with partial effacement of the subcromial fat. Mild lateral downsloping of the acromiom process. Small degree of fluid distention of subdeltoid/acromial bursa.
      Supraspinatus tendinosis. Degenerative signal is present within the subscapularis tendon. Axial images demonstrate lack of coracohumeral ligament attachment to the greater tuberosity. A normal superior glenohumeral ligament morphology is not present within the midaspect of the glenohumeral joint. Mild medial subluxation of the long head of the biceps tendon at very superior aspect of the bicipital notch. Increased signal present centrally within the intracapsular segment of the long head of the biceps tendon. Small joint effusion. A soft tissue Bankart lesion is present. Separation of the labrum across the inferior glenoid rim. Persistent abnormal signal separates the posterosuperior labrum from the glenoid rim. The inferior glenohumeral ligaments and axillary recess are thickened and increased in signal. Soft tissue edema.

Impression:

Extensive superior labral tear and anterointerior labral tear. Superior labral tear appears to extend into the long head of biceps tendon. Disruption of the superior glenohumeral ligament and the lateral limb of the corahumeral ligament. Mild acromicoclavicular osteoarthritis and posterior glenoid rim osteophytes. There is cartilage loss over the anterior 9mm of the inferior surface with subchondral sclerosis.

What does all this mean? Can it heal on its own with just physical therapy? I have no idea what could have caused these findings because it started hurting when I was laying in bed. Although when I think back I did fall anywhere from 1 month to a few days prior to when it started hurting but when I fell I don't remember any type of shoulder pain.

Sorry for such a long post but I don't see the ortho surgeon for another 5 weeks so I wanted to learn what I could before hand. Thanks for any information you might have.

Re:shoulder pain and interpreting tears on MRI report 6 years, 4 months ago #19270

• ljansen
      • Platinum Boarder
      • 9 shoulder surgeries
      prior to the fall you mentioned having, was there any other type of trauma to the shoulder even as far back as a few years? any dislocations of any type (whether you had to have it put back in or it went back in on its own)?

reason I ask, a lot of the findings on the MRI are consistent with those that happen with a dislocation. i'll help you out with a bit of the terminology of what was found, that way you can look around on the site here or google things...

SLAP tear that involves the biceps tendon (top of the socket)
      bankart tear (bottom front of the socket, when the ligaments pull the labrum off)
      AC joint osteoarthritis
      bone spurs on the back of the socket/glenoid

Those are the main findings. now, i'm not sure what activities or specific arm movements bother you the most, so i can't say for sure just based on the MRI what is actually the main cause of your symptoms. a lot of times things can show up on MRIs and not bother people at all, that could very well be the case with you or everything that showed up is symptomatic. but, that being said, it doesn't sound like PT alone will help, most OS' would recommend surgery. but if you don't remember any other trauma aside from that fall, that must have caused a majority of the trauma with some chronic changes occurring because of the damage.

post lots of questions here tho, lots of people who can give input.

leanne
      R. Shoulder Capsular Shift - Sept. 03
      L. Shoulder Bankart/SLAP/Capsular Shift/Rotator interval & SS repair - Jan. 05
      L. Shoulder MUA/adhesion release - Jan. 06
      L. Shoulder SAD/Bursectomy - Sept. 07
      L. Shoulder Biceps Tenodesis - Mar. 09
      L. Shoulder Open Latarjet & Arthroscopy - Nov. 24, 2011
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/SAD - June 11, 2012
      L. Shoulder Capsular Release/Screw Removal/Biceps Tenotomy - Mar. 22, 2013
      L. Shoulder Arthroscopic Latarjet Screw Removal, Interval Repair, Axillary Neurolysis, Debridement
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online

We have 314 guests online