Welcome, Guest
      Username Password: Remember me
      • Page:

TOPIC: Weight training/Exercise Guide

Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4178

• HARRYDUNN
      • Junior Boarder
      Hey Andy,

How about a weight training/exercise guide for us post-op folks? I actually was prescribed all the rotation and scapular exercises even before surgery to keep my cuff strong. We could share tips, what works and what doesnt and things of that nature. I think there are other people that would appreciate it, plus it would give the site another dimension and also motivate people to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Let me know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Harry

Re:Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4179

• chykcha
      • Platinum Boarder
      That's a great idea!

One thing I found extremely helpful is to put a small rolled up towel under my armpit when I do external and internal rotation exercises. It pushes humerus in the correct position and really cuts the pain.

Also, make sure that you stabilize your shoulder during exercises. What I mean by that is visualize the head of humerus sliding back and just pull it back without engaging scapular muscles. Also prevents pain during motion.

Re:Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4181

• Andy
      • Administrator
      Harry, A great idea! Of course now I'm going to ask you how you think it should look.

I started an exercise guide a while back, up on the menu bar. Would you like to see a place on that where you could enter comments? Or should it be an additional section to the forum?

You guys use the site more for its intended purpose than I do, so I'd really like to hear how you think it would be most useful.

Cheers,
      Andy

Re:Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4186

• karenm
      • Platinum Boarder
      Hey Andy,

My routine is based on dumbell, weights/therabands(if I can't get to the gym), and stretching exercises. This is a good start to organize the section.

I also would be concerned that people would start doing some of these exercises too soon. This would cause more harm than good. I think people need to get the ok before trying the exercises posted especially the ones with weights.

Karen

Re:Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4190

• asr9754
      • Senior Boarder
      I like the idea and agree w/ Karen's precautions. I think it'd be good to have an area where people can share exercises they learned in PT, and they could also describe when they did them in the overall timeline, that way we can compare our whole recovery programs, not just individual exercises.

Re:Weight training/Exercise Guide 9 years, 3 months ago #4203

• markm62
      • Junior Boarder
      I've added copies of my exercises program directly to my blog: My Slap 2 experience.

If you wish I can post them elsewhere on this site
      • Page:
      Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
      Up

Member Login

Private Messaging

You are not logged in.

Add to Your Homepage

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Google

Bookmark for IE

Who's Online